Do you ever look back and think, “what great things have really happened in my life this year?”, like you’re expecting massive changes, and I mean massive. Then again you wonder what massive is? It’s meaning in your life because at one particular point it could be the greatest or best thing to happen to you then after a while it fades off and you tend to forget the impact it had on you at that moment.
That’s where you underestimate yourself, it’s as if nothing really happened to you throughout the year. I was reflecting about that because at some point I was somehow forgetting what this year has actually brought me. Then I had the bulb light moment, of “Jeez, how ungrateful can one get.”
Count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.~ Nurser Ryhme.
It may be just a nursery rhyme. One that we sang to pass time or make merry with our playmates but in essence it’s our guide to living a more content life. So in my reflection of what went on in 2012, I thought I could say 12 essential things that I realized have made me who I am today. 2012 made me realize;
- My family always want the best for me. Even when am independent, being mature and responsible, they want to be part and parcel of my life. That I need to involve them because whether you’re young or old, I remain their daughter and sibling. For me they are selfless. (Funny how my dad still gives me pocket-money when I visit home or how my mother packs for me all the frozen foods and veggies or my baby sister keeps me posted on latest music or makes demands just because. They don’t care whether I have or don’t, they’re always there regardless.)
- My birthday is what I make it. This year’s wasn’t mind-blowing, but neither was it boring. I ordered for myself cake just in case people forgot to get me some…lol. I was at that point in my life, where I was almost ‘alone’. Luckily, I ended up having 4 cakes, because other people thought of me. I don’t take that for granted, you’re awesome.
- Schooling never ends. I am still at it but can’t wait for the day I’ll be reading just for fun, then again will that happen unless am reading some intriguing novels or fancy magazines.
- That I need to be in charge of myself. There comes a time you draw the lines, make tough decisions. Character and personality are what define you and when you see them getting compromised, do something. Be in charge.
- You need to let go, to get better. There’s no other way to go about it. You want to get better, let go of what is holding you back or what was. Look forward to what is and what will be.
- Not everyone you know or relate to has to be your friend. If they don’t like you, disrespect you, gossip, it’s okay, don’t take it personally. Sometimes, a stranger can be more of a friend than the person you have grown to know. Such is life.
- That the people who are your friends and want the best for you are few. Know them, be there for them and while at it, let them surprise you. Don’t expect too much because they also have their battles to fight.
- God always has my back and I attribute everything to him. I believe that without God, you’re basically nothing.
- That you get what you ask for. Your mind, body and soul are somehow aligned to what you’re searching for – You find what you seek. Maybe that’s the influence of the Alchemist, but I definitely have experienced it. In more ways than one.
- Positivity, genuineness and gratitude is what connects you to others. That’s what humanity actually needs from you.
- Love is life. “I believe that when you find love, you hold onto it and cherish it because there is nothing finer and it may never come again.” ~ Mr.Feeny. That’s what I am doing. He got me and I got him.
- That I have grown. I am able to embrace change without so much fear and worry unlike before.
It was a good year, I have no complaints. Loved the amazing opportunities it brought me, the challenges, the newness and revelations it carried. The mantra I unknowingly lived by this year, “It’s better to know, ignorance is not bliss”. Looks like Maya Angelou figured it out because she says “when you know better, you do better.”
I don’t know what 2013 holds for me, us … but it definitely feels like it’s going to be a S to the U, to the P.E.R YEAR. I just feel like the growth experienced in 2012, when brought forward will be a great foundation to start the year. Plus, I know God has so much in store for me. There’s lots yet to be done and those things are not going to do themselves. So, “Let’s Go!”
Anyone setting new year resolutions for 2012? How did the ones for 2012 go? If you did not set any like me, what were your 2012 reflections?
Get your jig on this New Year! It only comes once, so welcome it in style. Ps: Only 1 day to go. What will you be up to?
Or maybe the Ke$ha way, looks more epic. And don’t we want it that way, whatever will make you get your jig one. Be on it.
And don’t miss that kiss when the clock strikes midnight. Keep yours close-by.
Otherwise, seeing as am Kenyan and that’s the way we start our sentences, using conjunctions. Grammar is fun when it’s less serious (
just reminded me of the Fanta Ad. More Fanta, Less Serious … very unrelated.) For all my super readers, you know I got nothing but love for you! Thanks for visiting all year round, it’s been great having posts for you to read. Now let’s pray that next year, my content will be bountiful and exciting.
Signing Off ~~~ *Kawi*